title

title

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Past (2013) France

One of the Asghar Farhadi's great work.



Drama | Mystery

Original title:
Le Passé (French)


Review:
     Frankly, I was bored after first 10 minutes of the movie. I thought it would be another 'A Separation' which might deal about the usual domestic violence of belonging country. A story like this is very common to where I am from, so I was not tempted for it. When it comes to 'The Past', it began very slowly and slowly like a crawling baby with a topic where characters from the movie discuss about it. And then only moving forward with an amazing pace and gripping plot building further bigger which made me stun. Especially the end scene when one of the movie characters had a tear in her eyes, I went speechless. This is the movie from 2013 that no one must miss for any sake. I was fond of Mr. Asghar Farhadi's working style and never considered his fan till I this movie.

     The director was very clever to portray characters into different shades in different stage of the story telling. Like, I thought the role Samir is a pervert, but when story proceeded further everything looked different with changed atmosphere. That is because of the held back story in the initial portion. I was not aware of none other than a man visiting to meet his ex wife and give some advice to his daughter. When one after another begin to reveal, the development of characters widens so that made movie to have the power to entice the audience. For all this one man we must admire and it is none other than the writer and director, Asghar Farhadi. The actors as well posed a great performance to give a strong support to the director and his view.

     As, I think, this movie deserves much more praise and applaud from critic and audience than the director's previous flick. As you know I am a sentimental movie fan, so this movie acquired my complete attention and won my heart. The movie ended before resolving my doubts about the plot. Looks like it is understandable after seeing that particular end scene. According to my observation of ratings and reviews across movie sites and forums this movie yet to reach widely to the audience. Overall, it is a must-must see movie drama and highly recommended.


Similar movies:
An Unfinished Life, A Separation, The Hunt, Gran Torino, That Evening Sun


Suitable for:
Tween, Teen, Adult, All


Final verdict:
Ignore, Bad, Average, Good, Excellent

The Past (2013) on IMDb


  • Tween: From age between 7 to 12
  • Teen: From age between 13 to 19
  • Adult: From age above 20
  • Ignore: Not worth watching
  • Bad: Not good but watchable
  • Average: 50-50, choice is always yours
  • Good: great certainly not masterpiece
  • Excellent: A must see, Masterpiece

No comments:

Post a Comment